Developed by Intuit, QuickBooks is accounting software that provides all of its related services to the subscribed users. The program covers businesses of all times. The application comes with features such as Payroll functions, managing bills, and payments, etcetera. Another feature of the software is the QuickBooks Payroll Report tool. It is a methodical estimation of payments made by the firm to its employees. The article will provide you the information regarding creating a Payroll summary report in QuickBooks, beginning with what the Payroll summary report is.
What Is Payroll Summary Report In QuickBooks?
In QuickBooks, the Payroll summary report is the detailed recording of the payments made to the employees. This includes the taxes, net pay and gross pay, salary of the employees, vacation time, etcetera. But, to check transactions of a particular date, it is important to create reports for individual employees.
Understanding The Summary Report
A few things to know more about this report are as given below:
- Gross Pay: It consists of the commission and additions. Like bonuses or tips.
- Adjusted Gross Pay: It is the gross pay excluded by the pre-tax deductions such as an employee contribution to a 401(k) plan.
- Net Pay: The amount sent to the employee after the taxes and any modifications for the after-tax charges or add-ons.
- Employer Taxes and Contributions: This section of the report displays the amount received while during the period. It does not matter if you or your company paid for them or not.
Creating A Payroll Summary Report
- First, go to the Reports menu.
- Next, select Employees & Payroll and then choose Payroll Summary.
- Provide a date range to the report.
- Select a date range from the Dates drop-down
- In the From and To fields, enter a date range.
- Now, click on Refresh.
- Exclude the Hours and/or Rate columns.
- Click on Customize Report.
- Go to the Display tab and unmark the Hours and/or Rate checkboxes
- Click on OK.
- Go to the Filters tab, modify the pay periods by clicking on Pay Period Begin/End Date
- Click on OK once you are done.
- Select Report from the Print drop-down list.
- (Optional) Modify the printer setting if required and then select Print.
- If you want to export this report then we recommend you go to Export QuickBooks To Excel.
- You may also want to visit: Export Option For Excel Is Grayed Out
Running A Payroll Report On An Employee
In order to run a report for a specific employee, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Go to the Employees menu and click on the Employee Center.
- Click on the employee for whom you want to run the report.
- Click one of the reports that reports you would like to run:
- Payroll Summary
- Paid Time Off Report
- Payroll Transaction Detail
Creating A Custom Summary Report
A custom summary report is an open report template that lets you create summary reports from the ground up by selecting sequences of rows and columns. Now you can create it from scratch in QuickBooks Online Accountant.
To Create A Custom Summary Report:
- Go to the left menu and choose Reports.
- Go to the All tab, then in the Business Overview section, and choose the Custom Summary Report.
- Select Customize.
- Place the report filters and after that, select Run report.
- If you want the report for future use, select Save and customization.
To Modify The Payroll Summary Report In The Employee Center
- Go to the Employees option.
- Then, click on the Employee Center.
- Select the employee on the list.
- If the employee isn’t listed, you may need to change the view (above the employees’ names).
- Following the Reports for this employee.
- Select the Payroll Summary link.
- Adjust the date range appropriately.
To Print your Payroll Summary Report
- First, click on the Print option present on the menu Toolbar.
- Next, with the Print Preview, check the report on the screen.
- Select Print from the toolbar and click on Page Setup.
- Set your paper margins or size as per the requirement.
Note: If you wish to select a device other than the default printer, then go to the Settings and change them as per the convenience and click on Print.
To Export Payroll Summary Report To Excel
- First, in the Report section, select the Excel drop-down.
- Then, select Create New Worksheet. (Or Update Existing Worksheet)
- If you go on to choose the Update Existing Worksheet, click on the browse button to select the workbook.
- Select the Advanced button.
- Now, you have to clear the space between the columns’ check-box.
- Next, select Ok.
- Finally, click on the Export option.
The Additional Filters
From the Payroll report features, you will be able to run reports with more additional filters. This is one of the best ways to oversee your Payroll data for a specific employee, department, location, position, or time.
Following are the steps to access the additional filters.
- First, click on the Date drop-down area.
- Then, click on the option of Additional Filters.
A window will appear on your system’s screen containing various detailed filter options. This will allow you to select any of the filters of your choice to help you automatically update the reports.
We hope with this blog you were able to understand the concept of the QuickBooks Payroll Summary Report and were able to utilize the tool. However, if you come up with any trouble or have any further doubts, you can contact our customer support through our toll-free number. Our team of experts will provide you all the necessary help in the given time. Also, if you have any queries related to the QuickBooks application, feel free to get in touch with us.