QuickBooks error code 20 is visible in your system when Quickbooks Printer is not activated. If you are searching for a solution to this Quickbooks printer error problem. According to us in this blog, we will provide you with a complete solution for your QuickBooks Error 20. However, if you want to get instant support, you can connect to our QuickBooks Support Service.
Although QuickBooks accounting software is the best that helps us to create an invoice for customers, pay your bills, print checks, record every financial transaction, and much more. But, as it is just a man-made application it cannot be perfect. That’s why it has errors and QuickBooks Error 20 is one of the errors you face while using QuickBooks. Generally, this problem happens when we delete a key named as HKey_current_config/software key. There might be another reason why the computer is busy with the other version of that software. And you can easily store multiple versions of QuickBooks on the same computer.
Causes of Error 20
- Non-updated QuickBooks software. Your Quickbooks version is not compatible with your windows operating system.
- The application key has not been updated.
- Corrupted or incomplete Quickbooks installation.
- Unsupported printer driver either way.
- QuickBooks Windows Registry Issues.
QuickBooks Error 20-printer not initiated, is a typical Error message that can be looked at by any individual utilizing the QuickBooks programming. Be that as it may, the Error can be settled utilizing some straight forward advances. For this, we have a guide for you here that will disclose to you everything about the error code – 20, and how you dispose of it.
Points Before you start: Create a registry Backup and Restore point
- Backup Windows Registry.
- To add manual changes to it, open the Registry Editor.
- Open the File menu and export the registry and save it.
- If necessary create a restore point to cancel the changes made to the registry.
- Wait until the system restores point creation process finishes and click OK when finished.
Steps to fix QuickBooks error code 20 [printer not activated]
Solution 1: Configure User Permissions
- Hit the window and type Regedit in the search bar.
- Click Right on Regedit and choose the Run as Administrator.
- Double-click the HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG folder in the left Pan.
- Click Right on the software folder in the pan and select permissions. When a new window pops up, assign “Full Control” to “User” if it is not enabled and click OK.
Solution 2: Reinstall Quickbooks and Update windows
Follow the steps to Reinstall Quickbooks-
- Select the start button.
- And choose the control panel.
- Find and choose ‘Programs and Features’ some computers may show it as ‘Applications and Features’
- Click on ‘Uninstall’ from the options shown, you will get a list of all the applications or software that have been installed on your system
- Find QuickBooks and click on uninstall.
- Wait for some time till the process gets done.
- Now, reinstall the QuickBooks software properly.
- Run your QuickBooks clean install tool.
- Restart your PC.
Follow the steps to update windows-
- Click on the “windows” button and open settings.
- Open update and security.
- Select Windows update and check if any updates are pending.
- If yes, download it and it will automatically start installing.
- Reboot your system now.
- Check if the error still persists.
Solution 3: Configure Print Spooler Service
- Press Windows + R at the same time and type MSC in the run box on the desktop.
- right-click on the Print Spooler service from the list of services and choose “Properties” to Stop the print spooler service.
- From the Startup Type drop-down, choose Automatic
- Now click on start service again.
- Try printing something or save a PDF, it should solve “Code error 20 not activating QuickBooks printer”
Solution 4: Update the register key manually
The error can be resolved by updating the register key. Windows registry contains information on the configuration of your operating system. You need to be very aware while working here as some changes are not reversible and can make your system act differently you might need to format or reinstall your operating system. Here are two methods by which you can update the registry key manually.
- Open ‘Run’ and then in the dialogue box type – Regedit and select ‘Run as Administrator’.
- Create a backup before making any changes to avoid any mishappening if occurs.
- On the same screen select File from the menu on top > select Export > name the backup copy file > select Export Range in the dialog box > check if All is checked > Save.
- Right-click on the software table and choose ‘Permission’.
- Users should have full control of the table.
- Click on ‘OK’ and then close the window and the registry editor.
This way is for the users that work on the Windows 10 operating system. Ensure that you have permission to use the command prompt from your account.
- Select the windows button and in the search field type ‘cmd’
- The system will prompt you to the ‘cmd app’ right-click on it and choose to ‘Run as an Administrator’ from the option.
- In the command prompt type ‘Powershell’ and then press ‘Enter’
- Copy the code mentioned below and paste it in the text field
PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -NoLogo -NonInteractive -Command “$key = [Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::CurrentConfig.OpenSubKey(‘Software’,[Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKeyPermissionCheck]::ReadWriteSubTree,[System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryRights]::ChangePermissions); $acl =$key.GetAccessControl(); $rule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryAccessRule (‘Users’,’FullControl’,’ObjectInherit,ContainerInherit’,’None’,’Allow’); $acl.SetAccessRule($rule); $key.SetAccessControl($acl);”
Let the command run, it will fix QuickBooks error – 20 if there was an issue with the permission in registry keys. Try the next method if the error still exists.
Solution 5: Repair QuickBooks PDF Component QBprint.QBP File
- Open your Windows Control Panel and go to the Programs and Features.
- Choose QuickBooks from the list of installed programs.
- And click Change and start the repair process and follow the instructions till the end.
- Restart the computer after the QuickBooks repair process is completed.
- Try to print something or save a PDF, this should solve QuickBooks error code 20
Solution 6: Troubleshooting Microsoft Document Writer – Windows Component
Microsoft Document Writer is a preinstalled Windows component that helps to print the file. This enables Windows to assist the QuickBooks application to save information in PDF. If this component is missing or damaged, you have a printing problem in QuickBooks on Windows 10 and the Encounter QuickBooks printer does not activate error code 20 as a result.
- Right-click the QuickBooks icon on your desktop and choose the Open File Location option from the menu.
- Go to the Temp folder and look for the folder that represents your version of QuickBooks.
- Open the third-party folder and then
- Locate and double-click the .exe file and complete the installation.
- Open QuickBooks once to register a license.
- In case of a problem installing the ABS PDF driver or it stops responding, try installing again.
- Once the installation is complete try printing again to verify the QuickBooks error code 20.
In this blog, we tell you 6 easy and simple methods to resolve the QuickBooks Error code 20. We hope you found the content useful and now able to fix the issue. If you still face any issues regarding the error code 20 then you can call our toll-free QuickBooks Online support number +1-844-519-0042 to get instant help from Experts and ProAdvisors. You can also contact us if you have any other queries or issues related to Quickbooks.
Keep Sharing, Keep Smiling:)