QuickBooks Error -6189, -816 is found when we are trying to access a company file. It is a common problem in relation to your multi-user network. You don’t need to worry about your accounting data, it’s completely safe. It is important to fix this error so that your multi-user network starts working efficiently. You can also ask for help from the QuickBooks ProAdvisor at the toll-free number to fix this error to save your time and effort.
Read the complete post to learn what are the causes that result in the occurrence of QuickBooks Error 6189, 816, and how to get rid of it. When this error occurs you will see a message prompted on your QuickBooks Desktop:- “An error occurs when QuickBooks tries to access the company file (-6189, -816),”.
Causes Of The Error 6189, 816
- Corrupted or damaged or incomplete QuickBooks installation.
- QuickBooks File is already in access by another user in a different system.
- If the folder is encrypted where the file is stored and you don’t have the permission to read and write it.
- Damaged or corrupted QuickBooks company file.
- Missed or deleted drivers that help the QuickBooks to run successfully.
- Malware or virus attack in the framework of the window affecting Quickbooks.
- Difference between the exchange log record (.TLG) and the organization document (.QBW).
- Issues with Quickbooks host system
How to fix QuickBooks Error -6189, -816?
Solution 1:- QuickBooks Tools Hub
Quickbooks offers us the easiest way to solve our issues and errors related to Quickbooks. To fix the error 6189, -816 we can simply run Quick fix my program from Quickbooks Tools hub and rid of it in few easy steps-
- Download and install Quickbooks tool hub.
- Open the tool hub and tap on program problems.
- Click on Quick Fix my Program.
- Start QuickBooks Desktop and open your data file.
Tool hub tries to automatically resolve your issues with your minimum interfere but if this doesn’t work and you still have to face the error try Solution 2.
Solution 2:- Restart all your systems and servers
Sometimes your whole system requires a full reset. You can restart your computers and servers by using these steps:
- Restart the main server which hosts all your company files.
Note: Contact intuit for help if you are using QuickBooks Enterprise hosting. And if you use affiliated Intuit Hosting Providers or another cloud service to host your company files, contact them for help restarting the service.
- Reset or restart each workstation (computers) that are in connection with the same networks and your company file is stored in them.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop on the main server system and after that open it on each system.
Solution 3:- Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager and run it on your server.
QuickBooks Database Server Manager that will help you to keep your multi-user networks stable. As the company files are in accumulation in the host computer, other systems (workstations) just access them. So, the stability of the server is essential.
- Install QuickBooks Database server manager on your system if it is not. Now start the Database Server Manager on your main server system. (You don’t require a license to run it on your system.)
- In the Tool hub, select Network Issues.
- Open QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your system and update it to the latest version.
- If you see your company file select it otherwise browse it and then select it.
- After selecting your company file click on start scan.
- After that restart the server of your computer.
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop again on your main server computer and then on each workstation.
Follow solution 4, if the error still exists.
Solution 4:- Transfer your company files into the local hard drive
Please ensure that your data file(QBW) is not stored on the removable pen drive and hard drive. Your files need to be in the local drive otherwise it can create an error. Here are the steps to do so-
- Search the file location.
- Go to the folder.
- Right-click on the folder and then select copy.
- Paste the folder on your local drive.
- Connect the local drive with your new computer and copy the company files from the local drive on it.
- Now launch QuickBooks Desktop on your new system and open your company file.
Solution 5:- Rename the Network Data File (ND) and Transaction Log File (TLG)
If none of the above methods works then you can manually fix the issue. Both ND and TLG are configuration files that allow QuickBooks to access a QBW file in a multi-user environment. You may encounter ‘QuickBooks error 6189, 816’ if these files are corrupt/damaged. However, the files get automatically re-created once you rescan them by using QuickBooks Database Server Manager and open the company file. When that happens, rename ND and TLG files and check if it solves the error. Follow the steps to rename the ND and TLG files-
Step 1: Open the folder containing your company file.
Step 2: Locate the files having the same name as your company files, but are saved with extensions.ND and.TLG (as given below):
Step 3: Rename the files by right-clicking on it.
Note: Make sure to add the word ‘OLD’ at the end of ND and TLG filename. For instance, company_file.qbw.nd.OLD.
Step 4: Re-open QuickBooks and try signing in to your company file.
So, I hope that this will help you to fix QuickBooks Error 6189, 816. However, after trying all the above solutions if you still face this error, call our QuickBooks error support team so that they can help you fix the error. Contact our ProAdvisors and Experts on +1-888-461-1336 and let them handle your problem as we are available for you 24*7. For any suggestions or queries, always feel free to contact us.
Keep sharing, Keep smiling:)