QuickBooks Error -6189, -816 is found when QuickBooks is trying to access a company file. But it is a common problem associated with your multi-user network instead of your accounting data. It is important to fix this error so that your multi-user network starts working efficiently. You can also ask for help from the QuickBooks ProAdvisor at the toll-free number to fix this error in order to save your time and effort.
Here in this post, firstly you will learn what are the causes that result in the occurrence of QuickBooks Error 6189, 816 and secondly you will learn how to resolve it. This error occurs when a message is prompted on your QuickBooks Desktop:- “An error occurs when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816),”.
Cause of the Error 6189, 816
- Corrupted or damaged QuickBooks installation.
- QuickBooks File is already accessed by another user in a different system.
- If the folder is encrypted where the file is stored and you don’t have the permission to open and read it.
- Damaged or corrupted QuickBooks company file.
- Missed or deleted drivers that help the QuickBooks to run successfully.
How to fix QuickBooks Error -6189, -816?
You can fix this error by using these simple steps given below in this article:-
Solution-1:- Download QB Refresher and run it on your system.
When you run the QB Refresher tool in your system, it will close all the programs running in background of your system and it will also refresh your program files. Programs already running on your system are one of the main causes behind the QuickBooks Error 6189, 816. Here are the steps that will help you to download the QB Refresher tool on your computer.
- Open the above link to download the QB Refresher installation file and save it on your system.
- Complete all your tasks on which you are working with QuickBooks currently.
- After completing the tasks, close your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Run the program QBRefresher.exe(To run this, double-click on QBRefresher file you have downloaded.)
- After this, follow all the instructions shown on the screen. It will take approx 30 seconds to run completely.
- Reopen QuickBooks Desktop after the running process is finished.
If this will not work and still facing the problem follow the next solution.
Solution-2:- Restart all your systems and servers
Sometimes your whole system requires a full reset. You can restart your computers and servers by using these steps:
- Restart the main server which hosts all your company files.
Note: Contact intuit for help if you are using QuickBooks Enterprise hosting.
- Reset or restart each workstation(computers) that are connected to the same networks and your company file is stored on them.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop on the main server system and after that open it on each system.
Solution-3:- Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager and run it on your server.
QuickBooks Database Server Manager that will help you to keep your multi-user networks stable.
- Install QuickBooks Database server manager on your system if it is not installed. Now start the Database Server Manager on your main server system. ( You don’t require a license to run it on your system.)
- Open QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your system and update it to the latest version.
- After that restart the server of your computer.
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop again on your main server computer and then on each workstation.
Follow solution 4, if the error still exists.
Solution-4:- Transfer your company files into the local hard drive
- Search the file location.
- Go to the folder.
- Right-click on the folder and then select copy.
- Paste the folder on your local drive.
- Connect the local drive with your new computer and copy the company files from the local drive on it.
- Now launch QuickBooks Desktop on your new system and open your company file.
So, I hope that this will help you to fix QuickBooks Error 6189, 816. If you still face this error, call our QuickBooks error support team so that you can fix the error.