QuickBooks is an accounting software brought by Intuit into the market. The application is known for providing all the related services in the most effective and efficient manner. The software is user friendly and also covers all business types. However, being technology, the application sometimes faces bugs and glitches. A similar glitch in QuickBooks is the QuickBooks Error 6147.
QuickBooks error 6147 occurs when the user is trying to restore his company file over a network or trying to open the company damaged network data file. This Error is associated with the -6000 error series of QuickBooks. You may see the error message like:
This is not a Quickbooks data file or there is a problem with the data file.
Please contact Reckon Technical support and provide them with the following error codes (-6147,0).
In this article, we will discuss everything about Quickbooks Error 6147. We will cover the reasons behind the error, its symptoms, along with various methods explaining how to fix the error.
Intuit also provides an inbuilt repair facility which is known as QuickBooks File Doctor tool with its QuickBooks application. With the help of this tool, the user can easily protect their file from this error, but the utility reportedly fails to fix this error. You can take immediate help from Quickbooks online support team Quickbooks Experts and ProAdvisors will help you in no time.
Factors Leading To QB Error 6147
- Damage or Corrupt QB Company files with a .QBW extension.
- Sometimes, users try to open restore a backup file from a local computer with the wrong extension.
- The backup file path is incorrect.
- The .ND and .TLG extensions are incorrect.
- Not restoring a backup file from the local drive. (Trying to restore from network or external drive.)
- Damaged Windows user.
- The backup file name is incorrect. This means it does not obey the rules and regulations it should. It shouldn’t exceed the 210-character limit.
- The internal security setting of computer or Antivirus software prevents QuickBooks from connecting with company files.
- In some cases, the user won’t have the latest software update.
- Improper or incomplete or corrupted QuickBooks desktop Installation.
Symptoms Of Error 6147
- The Windows start responding slowly.
- The Windows does not respond properly to keyboard and mouse inputs.
- The system crashes many times because of errors.
- The system shut down while working when the problem is detected.
- The error code crashes the active running program.
- Error popup message displayed on the screen.
Troubleshooting The Error
As we have clearly understood what causes the occurrence of this error and the symptoms, we will now move to the solutions. Here we provide you ways to avoid or fix Quickbooks Error 6147. Before you begin, make sure that your QuickBooks application has been updated.
To update the application, follow the steps shown below.
- Open the Quickbooks Desktop application.
- In the help section, go to update Quickbooks desktop.
- Check for updates by clicking on Update Now.
- If any updates are available, get updates.
- The update procedure can take several minutes
- Check if the error persists. If yes, then move one to the next solution.
Solution 1: QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
After installing the newer version of QuickBooks, if you are still facing this error, then you have to install and run QuickBooks file doctor tools. This tool will fix the damaged QuickBooks company file or network.
If you cannot see your company file, click on the Browse option. After clicking on the diagnose file button, it might take a few minutes (depending upon the size of your company file). When the process is complete, go check if the error persists. If the answer is yes, then move on to the next solution.
Solution 2: Configure Antivirus Settings
You need to Configure your antivirus setting. Also, you have to set aside the folder that has the company file.
- First, search for your company file.
- Now, press the control button and then double click on Quickbooks, followed by opening it without affecting the company file.
- A list of files will open that would display the location of files.
- Open the setting of your anti-virus and carefully select the folder and add it to the exception.
- If you are still facing this problem, you need to go to your antivirus website and contact the support team to know how to set the exception.
- Now, double click on the QuickBooks software while pressing the Ctrl key.
- The No Company File mode will open. Select the company file from the windows of no company open. Make sure the company file is on top.
Solution 3: Change The Path Of The Backup File
If the backup is hosted by the online QuickBooks backups or the file is already located at the network drive, then you need to save the backup file in another location.
- First of all, do ensure that your system hosting is not yet done.
- Now, click on the file menu and select the utility option in QuickBooks
- If hosting multi-user options is there in the list, then stop the access and wait for the next window to appear.
- Click on the Yes option with the company file closed.
- Now, restore the backup file that is present on the system.
- After doing this, if you are facing the problem, then you must make sure that the designated path of the company is less than 210 charters.
Solution 4: Run Rebuild Utility
- Click on Utilities from the file menu.
- Select the Rebuild data.
- Create a backup if prompted.
- If the message pops up saying QuickBooks Not Responding, click ok and wait.
Solution 5: Rename Files .ND And .TLG.
If you are still facing the same issue, then you need to rename the .ND and .TLG files to repair the company damaged data files. Follow the steps to rename the ND and TLG files-
Step 1: Open the folder containing your company file.
Step 2: Locate the files having the same name as your company files, but are saved with extensions .ND and .TLG (as given below):
Step 3: Rename the files by right-clicking on it.
Note: Make sure to add the word ‘OLD’ at the end of ND and TLG filename. For instance, company_file.qbw.nd.OLD.
Step 4: Re-open QuickBooks and try signing in to your company file.
Solution 6: Save The Backup Copy To Another Local System
- Stop multi-hosting from your system. Make sure you aren’t hosting.
- The company file must be closed in the windows of the company file.
- Restore from the backup file that is saved on your system.
- Make sure that the path does not contain more than 210 characters.
- After restoring, check if the error is resolved.
In the article, we have discussed all the potential causes and the answers to dispose of the QuickBooks Error 6147. There are several methods given from which you can use any of them and get rid of this problem. So, we hope that now you can fix QuickBooks Error 6147 by yourself and can get back to your work. However, after trying all the above methods, if you are still unable to do so, call on our toll-free QuickBooks Online support number to get instant help. You can also contact us if you have any other queries or issues related to QuickBooks.