QuickBooks Error 1904 occurs because of the error file/components or the improper file location. It is a common QuickBooks installation error like 1402,1935 etc. But don’t worry about your accounting data and files they are completely safe. This error needs to be fixed as soon as possible to ignore the future damage. So let’s see why it’s happening and what is the cause of QuickBooks Error 1904. You will see the error message as-
Error 1904:[file path/ name/ extension] failed to register.
Get help from a professional to resolve this at our toll-free QuickBooks customer service if you are in a hurry and want to save your time.
Why does QuickBooks error code 1904 occur?
When the system becomes unstable and critical, the files start missing. This issue occurs when the required components do not synchronize when you update the operating system of the computer. Then it shows the damaged file, or, component and the improper file location. So the problem you are facing needs to be fixed otherwise you won’t be able to use QuickBooks accounting software. And QuickBooks Error 1904 will occur.
Cause of QuickBooks Error 1904
- Low maintenance of the system.
- When the system is unstable or critical.
- Missing or damaged components.
- Corrupt or incomplete installation.
- Pending updates of Quickbooks and computers.
- Issues with computer hard drive.
- Damaged components of Microsoft visual c++.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 1904?
You can fix this error by following the steps which are given below.
Here are some special cases in which the steps shown below are not to be performed.
- You use Bitdefender
- Error occurs when installing adobe flash player.
- QBversionTool.dll message mention of the Error 1904
Step:1 The automated user solution:
- Restart your computer.
- Download the QB repair utility.
- After scanning complete press the fix repair button.
- Install the QB program and then scan the program.
- Again restart your computer.
After completing this step, open the QuickBooks. If it is working means all the problems are fixed. But if it again shows the error means you have to move on the second step which is below.
Step:2 The Manual user solution:
- Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop.
- Manually you have to rename the QuickBooks and intuit folder.
- Clean the QuickBooks which is installed.
- Run again the QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool.
- Followed by the QuickBooks fresh install.
After a manual user solution is done, the QB is working then all problems have been fixed. But if again showing Error then you have to move on the next step.
Step:3 Change the window account setting:
- Open the window and click on the start menu.
- Type “CMD” in the search and right-click on the CMD(Command Prompt) icon and then Run as Administrator.
- Open a command window and then type “net user administrator” and then press the Enter key. When the command is complete then close the command window.
- Open once again, start the menu and select the sign-out.
- Select the Administrator and sigh in. No need to give a password.
Change your user permissions
- Open the Windows Start menu.
- Type “File Explorer” into the search and open File Explorer.
- Search for C:\Program Files\Common Files.
- Right-click the Common Files folder, and then select Properties.
- Go to the Security tab, and then select Edit.
- In the “Group or user names” section, select Users.
- In the “Permissions for Users” section, turn on the following permissions: Modify, Read & execute, List folder contents, Read, Write.
- Select Apply and then OK.
Reinstall QuickBooks and sign out
- Install QuickBooks Desktop. This shouldn’t impact any existing company file data.
- When the install is finished, open the Windows Start menu and sign out of the administrator account.
- Sign in to your usual user account.
- Open the Windows Start menu.
- Type “CMD” into the search. When you see the CMD Run icon, right-click it and then select Run as administrator.
- Type “net user administrator /active: no” in the command window and press Enter. This hides your administrator account.
If you can open QuickBooks with your regular account, you’re good to go.
An alternative way to Fix the Error
- Before implementing the solutions to Fix QB Error 1904 you have to install Hibernate Antivirus or the Security software.
- For the smooth resolution of QB Error Code 1904, the Multi-user setup shared updates option must be unchecked.
- the updates to prevent QuickBooks error code 1904 download the installation source accurately and proper installation of Fine-tune your internet bandwidth.
Some other considered factors to troubleshoot
- If you have QuickBooks multi-user then update your QuickBooks on the server and workstation.
- In a multi-user setup, update your windows on all the computers running QuickBooks.
- Run QuickBooks in administrator mode.
- Refresh, reconnect your internet or LAN connection.
Troubleshoot error 1904 in special cases
You use Bitdefender
You need to add QuickBooks Desktop to your Bitdefender exclusion list. Disabling Bitdefender won’t fix the error.
- If you have a 32-bit Windows operating system, add “C:\Program Files\Common Files.”
- If you have a 64-bit Windows operating system, add “C:\Program Files\Intuit (C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit.”
Error occurs when installing adobe flash player.
- Download and run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- When it’s finished, open the Windows Start menu.
- Type “Control Panel” into the search and open Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a program.
- Select Adobe Flash Player ActiveX from the list and then select Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall.
- Download and reinstall Adobe Flash Player again.
QBversionTool.dll message mention of the Error 1904
Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool and change your admin settings. Then, follow the steps in the following sections until the issue is fixed:
If you still see Error 1904, run this test to determine if something else is causing the issue:
- Open the Windows Start menu.
- Type “Notepad” in the Search field. Open Notepad.
- Type in “QBTEST” in the note.
- Go to the File menu and select Save As. Save it to either “C:\Program Files\Common Files” or “C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files”.
If you can’t save the note to the folder, you need to sign in and install QuickBooks as an administrator. To do so follow the steps shown below-
- Open the Windows Start menu and select sign out.
- Select the account that says Administrator and sign in. There shouldn’t be a password.
- Install QuickBooks as an administrator.
If you still see Error 1904, you should contact an IT professional. There may be a general issue with your computer.
We hope that now you can fix QuickBooks Error 1904 by yourself and can get back to your work. After trying all the above methods, if you are still unable to do so, call our toll-free QuickBooks Online support number to get instant help. You can also contact us if you have any other queries or issues related to Quickbooks.
Keep Sharing, Keep Smiling:)