QuickBooks error 15106: QuickBooks works as one of the best accounting software for the business accounting of small business as well as medium and large scale business. It will help you to create an invoice for customers, pay your bills, print checks, record every financial transaction, and much more. But as you know that like any other application QuickBooks also needs to update regularly so you can get benefits of its new and improved advanced features. Such as QuickBooks desktop 2020 it has so many new and advanced features to make your accounting easier.
But sometimes you may face some error when updating your QuickBooks and QuickBooks update error 15106 is one of the errors you may face during the updating process. To take the best out of the Quickbooks application and work smoothly it is necessary to get rid of this error. It’s essential to fix the error to ignore the future damage. In this, we will learn how to fix Quickbooks error 15106 in 4 easy steps.
What is QuickBooks Error 15106?
QuickBooks error 15106 is a common issue related to Quickbooks payroll that generally occurs when you update your QuickBooks software. Lots of people face this error of 15106 problems. This error usually occurs because the updated program is damaged or corrupted. When the error arises a pop-up message comes on-screen written: “unable to open the update program or the update function is damaged.” There are many other reasons which can cause the error. Have a look to know.
Causes of Error 15106
- If you are “not logged in the PC as an administrator” then this error occurs because you need the permission of the administrator while performing actions or installing some software that is very important.
- Antivirus which you have installed in your system also blocks the updating of software. By this, you will not be able to update or install the QuickBooks software.
- User Account Control (UAC) setting is another reason for the error 15106 you have to turn off the UAC while you are updating or installing QuickBooks software.
Fix Quickbooks Error 15016
Before trying the remedies to fix your error it is recommended to take a backup of your Quickbooks company files. Follow the four easy steps given to fix QB payroll error 15016:
Step 1: Log in to your PC as an administrator.
(But if I already logged in as an alternate client)
Then, go to the icon of QuickBooks given on your desktop and with the help of your mouse right-click on that icon and then there will be several options which will come in front of you and from that, you have to choose “Run as administrator” and then by clicking this option will change your access to the administrator and yes, this entire process will help you out form that riddle where you are stuck in. This step is essential because some updates require administrative rights to proceed, otherwise the update cannot happen.
Step 2: Stop your current antivirus and rename Folders:
- Open task manager Ctrl+Shift+Esc by pressing these keys on the keyboard.
- And then go to the Processes tab and at that time search for [ANTIVIRUS].exe and from there disable your antivirus and then uninstall the antivirus present in your system.
- Select End Process.
- After that rename your QuickBooks update folder.
- Open file explorer by pressing Windows key+E.
- Then go to C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components. For 64-bit users, go to C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)\Components.
- After that right-click on the download qbXX folder, after that select Rename.
- At last, add .old to the end of the name. Example: download qbxx.old
- At the end of the process “re-update QuickBooks desktop.”
Step 3: Turn off the UAC (User Account Control)
Turning off UAC( user account control ) can fix error 15106 to a certain extent as it is one of the major reasons for its occurrence. Follow the steps shown below to do so-
- Press the Windows + R button to open the run window in your system.
- Type control panel and hit enter.
- Or, you can click the Start menu. In the search field type control panel and hit enter.
- Choose user accounts, make sure you select the user account(classic view).
- Click “Change User Account Control settings.”
- If you are prompted by UAC, make sure you select yes and continue.
- In the window that comes up, move the slider down to “Never Notify.”
- Click OK and then restart the computer.
Step 4: Clean installation of Quickbooks in Selective mode.
First check the error still persists after performing the above methods. If yes then you have to install the Quickbooks again in selective mode of your system. You can do the task easily with the steps shown below-
- Firstly, create a backup of Quickbooks company files.
- Make sure you have a copy of Quickbooks product and license info.
- Now start your system in Selective mode.
- Press Windows + R to open the Run command.
- Type MSConfig, then click OK.
- Select Selective startup and Load system services in the general tab.
- Go to the Services tab, then select Hide all Microsoft Services and disable all.
- Uncheck the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Make sure the Windows Installer checkbox is selected from the list of services. If it’s not, select the checkbox.
- Select OK.
- On the System Configuration window, select Restart.
- After starting your system in selective mode, uninstall and install Quickbooks application again.
- Now, switch back to normal mode and reboot your system.
QuickBooks error 15106 occurs while updating the QuickBooks software because of an antivirus you have installed in your system or if you don’t have admin rights on your system. So you can do several steps to fix your system glitch, given above. Run QuickBooks as an administrator, turn off the User Access Control. We hope you found the content useful. If you still face any issues regarding the error code 15106 then you can call our toll-free QuickBooks Online support number to get instant help from Experts and ProAdvisors. You can also contact us if you have any other queries or issues related to Quickbooks.
Keep Sharing, Keep Smiling:)