QuickBooks is the financial and accounting software, by which you can access accounts, control your business, and stay organized anytime, anywhere with your computer, mobile or tablet. You can also check how your business is performing with customizable reports and dashboards. In this blog, we will discuss how you can solve the error code easily and you will also get to know about the causes of QuickBooks error code 1321.
QuickBooks error 1321 is an install-time error. This error generally occurs when you are doing an update and installation process in your QuickBooks company file. This error has occurred when the installer doesn’t have sufficient permission to read or write a file then QuickBooks shows the QuickBooks error code 1321 on your computer screen with this message shown “The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file”.
Reasons for Occurring QuickBooks Error 1321
There are several potential reasons for this error:
- The file update procedure might be quicker than the file copy procedure.
- Your antivirus, Firewall or security software or application is interfering with or blocking QuickBooks.
- The Windows permissions for the folder contains the file are set to limit access.
Message when This Error 1321 occurs
When installing or updating the QuickBooks, you can see QuickBooks Error 1321 – the installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file with one of the following messages:
- The installer has insufficient privileges to switch the file C:\Program “Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\sdkeventl.DLL”
- The installer has insufficient privileges to switch the file C:\Program “Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\CfScan.DLL”
- The installer has insufficient privileges to switch the file C:\Program “Files\Intuit\QuickBooks YEAR\QBONLI32.DLL”
- The QuickBooks Installer doesn’t have privileges to modify the file
Also, the error messages can be a little bit different in your computer system because the name of the DLL file varies in the error. When you hit the “Retry” button then you may get to see more error messages and your update or installation will fail.
Solutions to solve QuickBooks Error 1321
There are various ways to fix this error code but the first solution may be to fix this QuickBooks error code 1321. If it wouldn’t be able to solve this error then you should have tried all the solutions until you get your solution.
Solution 1: Download and Install the QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool
QuickBooks Diagnostic tool will automatically find the company file related issue like QuickBooks error 1321. It will automatically fix the problem which you are facing at the time of update and installation below is the step by step procedure to download and run this tool.
- Firstly, you have to download the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and save this tool on your Desktop.
- After downloading this tool open the folder of diagnostic tool and double-click on the QBInstallDiagnosticTool.exe.
- When you open the QuickBooks diagnostic tool you may face the problem of unable to locate QuickBooks installation files, here you have to run again the installer. Then the files will be saved in the temp folder. These files will be used by QuickBooks diagnostic tool for repairing.
- If you detected any error then you need to proceed next and follow the instructions to fix this error.
- Then your files will become errorless, and after that, you have to reboot your computer system, and then try to update or install your company file if you get the same error then you have to move on to another solution.
Solution 2:- Complete the update by retrying
- Whenever you are trying to update your company file then it shows the QuickBooks error 1321 and you also get the option of ‘Retry’.
- Here you need to select the ‘Retry’ button to allow the update to complete.
- If it is not working then click on the ‘Cancel’ button and you need to switch on the next solution.
Solution 3: Temporarily Uninstall your Antivirus
- The updated error can also become due to antivirus security. And, for this, you need to uninstall the antivirus from your computer system.
- After completing uninstallation then you need to come back to your QuickBooks and try to update your company file.
- And if you succeed in removing this error then you need to install your Antivirus again.
Solution 4: Edit permission of Windows on the folder
Here, given step by step procedure to edit Windows permission. The solution will be different for Windows 32-bit and 62-bit. The solution for both will discuss-
The most common steps followed by both 32-bit and 64-bit users:
- You have to first open the ‘Run Command’ by pressing the ‘Windows + R’ keys from the keyboard.
- There will be a small search box in which you need to copy and paste the path of the folder which contains QuickBooks program files then hit the enter key.
For 32-bit Windows(7, 8, 10) user:
For “Desktop Enterprise”
- C\Program Files\Intuit\Enterprise Solution 20
- C\Program Files\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 19
- C\Program Files\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 18
- C\Program Files\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 17
For “Pro and Premier”
- C\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2020
- C\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2019
- C\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2018
For “Point Of Sale”
- C\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Point Of Sale 12.0
- C\ProgramFiles\Intuit\QuickBooks Point Of Sale 11.0
For 64-bits Windows(7, 8, 10) user
For “Desktop Enterprise”
- C\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 20
- C\Program FIles (x86)\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 19
- C\Program Files (x86)\Intuit Enterprise Solutions 18
- C\Program Files (x86)\Intuit Enterprise Solutions 17
For “Pro and Premier”
- C\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2020
- C\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2019
- C\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2018
- C\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2017
- First, you have to open a new Window then Go into the View then select Customize.
- Property Window will open now, and you have to tap on “Security”
- And once the security tab opens then select the “Administrators”.
- After that tap on the “Allow” checkbox for full control.
- Next, go into the “System” user and “Allow” the checkbox of full control
- Then you have to tap on “Allow”.
- Finally, press the “OK” button to close the Properties tab.
When the installer has not sufficient authority to write the company file, then QuickBooks Error 1321 generates. You can solve this error with the help of the “Download and Run QB Install Diagnostic tool”.
QuickBooks Error 1321 is a critical error and it can do serious damage to your QuickBooks company files. Contact the QuickBooks Technicians on the 24*7 available QuickBooks Tech Support Phone Number.
Resolving these errors manually is such a waste of time. When you can simply contact the Intuit certified QuickBooks Technicians. We assure you to give a 100 percent guarantee of solving all the errors as fast as possible.