QuickBooks database server manager can help you with lots of things to manage your QuickBooks company files. If you have no idea what is QBDMS or How does QB Database Server Manager works in your system then, this post is for you to understand this feature completely.
If you want to share your company files with other people on their computers over the network, you must use the QuickBooks Database manager to do the process. It also gives you control to manage and monitor your multi-user network, but you need to run it on your system when you want to set up a network. You can also learn to set up networks for QuickBooks Desktop.
QBDS manager is the most effective and efficient software provided by Intuit. It provides multiple user access and creates a Network data file (.*nd) for any company file which is stored on the host computer. If you are using QuickBooks Desktop pro in more than one computer then you also have to install QBDS manager for each version. Once you install QuickBooks Database Server Manager then it will provide you multiple versions of the processes but not multiple instances of the software.
When you install a Database server manager for a year it means for that year the database is running in the background. Always ensure that the current version of the QuickBooks Database server running in the background.
Functions Provided By The QBDS Manager
QBDS Manager provides various functions to us like:
- This software makes a record of the people about their login to which company file.
- This provides help to the customer to know about the company file stored on the server.
- It helps to keep a record of those services which are running continuously. When the company file hosted by the server.
- QBDS Manager can also help us to manipulate the status of some services. It is done by using the services Administrative tool and configuring the QBDS Manager.
- It also helps to manage the updates by clicking the update button in the “Update Section” and following the steps mentioned.
How to Download, & Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
The QuickBooks database server manager can be download, and install in simple 3 steps. Here are the steps, follow them, and complete the process.
Step 1: Download Process of Database Server Manager
First of all, we need to download the server in the system. As we know, it is a part of the QuickBooks Desktop file, so here you need not download the database server manager separately.
Download QuickBooks Desktop, it will be download automatically. If you haven’t download the QuickBooks Desktop yet then download it, and run the database server, from where you host all of the company files.
Step 2: Installation Process of the Server Manager
The installation of the database server manager will be done on the server system from where you host all of the QuickBooks company files. Now follow the below procedure on the server to install the QuickBooks database server manager.
- First of all, close all the running programs on the server system with the QuickBooks program.
- Now open the downloaded file with the .exe file extension (Setup_QuickBooks.exe).
- Keep or find your product, or license number during the installation process of the server manager.
- After that QuickBooks will ask you to choose the installation type of the QuickBooks database server manager on the server system.
- Choose your installation type, click on the ‘Custom or Network Options’, and then the ‘Next’ option.
- Remember not to choose the ‘Express’ option.
- Now you have two options to choose the network set up. The following are the options;
- ‘I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing…’ – This option is best at the time if you need the database server manager and the QuickBooks Desktop on the server system.
- ‘I will NOT be using QuickBooks Desktop…’ -This option is best at the time if you want to run the database server on the server, and QuickBooks Desktop on another system.
- If your QuickBooks Desktop is already installed on the server then you need not choose any one of the options from the above.
- After that, QuickBooks will guide you on-screen to complete the process.
- Click on the ‘Install’ option, when you’re ready to install it.
- You may ask for Windows permission because QuickBooks creates a new user for all database server versions.
- Give the access, and complete the installation process.
Step 3: Set Up & Run the QuickBooks Database Server
Here is the procedure to set up, and run the server manager. If you want to run it in default setting then skip the configuration process, and set up the firewall permission.
Configure the Server Manager
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu from the taskbar.
- Search ‘Services’ in the search bar, and open it.
- Choose, and open the QuickBooksDB_ _ (_ _ means the number of versions).
- Visit the ‘General’ tab, and check the service status section.
- If the service status is running or started then stop it.
- Go to the ‘Startup Type’ menu, select the ‘Automatic’ option.
- Choose the ‘Local System Account’ option from the ‘Logon’ tab.
- Click on the ‘Restart the Service’ option from the ‘Recovery’ tab.
- Run the service for all the failures.
- Again go back to the ‘General’ tab, and click on the ‘Start button to restart the database server manager.
Set Up the Firewall Permissions
Set up the firewall and antivirus permission settings, and ensure that it permit to run the server on the system.
How Does QuickBooks Database Server Manager Work
After the installation of the Database Server Manager, you want to experiment with your enterprise files. Once you scan them, you can get right of entry to your employer files from other computers on your network. This helps you to and customers on your network work together in QuickBooks Desktop from more than one computer.
Opening QBDS Manager
- Click on the start menu.
- Select programs.
- And select QuickBooks
- Then select the QBDS Manager.
Scanning The Folders
- Open the QBDS Manager.
- Click on scan folders.
- For scanning the full local drive (in case you forget the location of your company file), click on scan.
Getting System Features Details
- Open the start menu.
- Click on Programs.
- Click on QuickBooks and then “QBDS Manager”.
- Select system, Now you can review your system information.
In this, you can add those drives you want to be monitored. This monitoring service ensures that every user can easily access the company file from the drive where it stored.
If you want to check the status of the monitoring service, Open the “Monitored drives” section.
By using this function we can easily keep our QBDS manager updated. This function is useful when the new files are added to the server. To do this do the following steps:
- Click on the “Start menu”, select QuickBooks and then select QBDS Manager.
- Select “Monitored drives”.
- Select any drive in which receives all the new company files. And this is the place at which all the updated files, deleted files, create files, and the modified files will store in the selected drive.
We cannot monitor or view those drives which are mapping.
When we manage data, performing tasks, some issues form at that time in the QBDS manager. Solutions for the most common issues faced by the users are:
That’s all about the QuickBooks database server manager. Hope you find it helpful, and informative, and now you have the idea to use it properly. Still, if you have any problem related to this topic then you can get our QuickBooks support from the experts for a detailed, and effective solution.