New to QuickBooks! don’t know, how to print W2 forms in QuickBooks? Well don’t worry, this article lets you know, how to print the W2 form in both QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop versions. Read the procedure, and know the requirements before going to the procedure.
Requirements in Printing for QuickBooks Desktop
There are given requirements for printing in QuickBooks Desktop, follow them:
- In QuickBooks Desktop, print W2 form, take black ink, and print on paper. And, make sure it will work with the QuickBooks Payroll version.
- In this, you have to ensure that you are using a supported QB Desktop version.
- And, should have a proper working QuickBooks Payroll Standard or its new service.
- For the payroll service, you should have W2 papers and a printer.
- And you should use blank papers or preprinted paper from the laser printer.
- Then, for an inkjet printer, use preprinted forms.
- Also, have the current payroll tax table.
How Print W2 Forms in QuickBooks Desktop
The QuickBooks Desktop payroll users can print the W2 forms for QuickBooks by using the self-print option.
Before going to the printing procedure, you should check the availability of the W2 forms for printing, and know the year-end date, and the quarter date for the assisted customers.
Use the Self-Print option for printing W2 forms in QuickBooks
- First of all, you need to get access to the Payroll Tax Center. To do that, you can follow the sub-steps:
- Go to the Employees’ tab, and select the Payroll Center’option from the list.
- After that, select the ‘File Forms’ tab, and then the ‘View/Print Forms & W-2s’ option.
- Now you have to enter the PIN of the payroll, in the ‘Payroll PIN’ section.
- After getting into the payroll tax center, click on the ‘W-2’ tab to choose the name of the employee from the list, by selecting the checkbox.
- If you want to select all of the employees then, you can do it at once.
- Then click on the ‘Open/Save Selected’ option.
- Now an instructions window will open on your desktop for the printing of the W2 form. There you need to choose any one of the reasons for printing the W2s form.
- I’m printing original employee W-2s – If the W2 form is going to provide to the employees for the first time.
- I’m printing replacement employee W-2s – If a W2 form is lost or damaged, and you want to replace it.
- I’m printing W-2s for my records – If you want to keep it as a company record.
- QuickBooks will give you a printing paper, according to your selection type.
- Now you need to load the appropriate paper into the printer.
- If you have not the appropriate paper then you can use plain paper.
- But the paper should follow the W2 filing instructions.
- QuickBooks Desktop payroll assisted uses 4 horizontal W-2s per page.
- Till now, you are on the right path, now you need to follow 2 steps to complete the printing process of W2 in QuickBooks Desktop.
- An Adobe reader file will open on your screen, according to your W-2 selection.
- There you need to go to the ‘File’ section and select the ‘Print’ option.
Note: Always remember that each employee should have a full page with 4 w2 form copies.
This was the complete procedure of printing a W2 form in QuickBooks Desktop.
How Print W2 Forms in QuickBooks Online
The users of QuickBooks Online can print the W2 form in all versions, and all plans. We will know all the procedures for all QuickBooks versions. Now it is your turn to choose your QuickBooks version type, and need to follow the given procedure to print the W-2 forms.
Print W2 Forms in QuickBooks Online Payroll Core, Premium, & Elite
There always been 2 options for W-2s. And they are turning on ‘We pay and file for you, and then turning off of ‘We pay and file for you’. We will consider both processes and will follow the steps to print the form.
Scenario 1: If the ‘we pay and file for you’ is Turned On:
QuickBooks will mail you the employee’s W2s form on the starting date of January 20 through January 31. If you want to start it on January 13 then, you can reprint the forms on plain paper.
- Go to the ‘Taxes’ section, and select the ‘Payroll Tax’ option from the list.
- Go to the ‘Filings’ section, and select the ‘Annual Forms’ option from the list.
- This will give you the option to print both employers’ W2 s form and the copies of employees.
- You will be prompted for the set up of W2 printing if you haven’t set up the printing preference.
- Click on the link ‘Before filing this form, you much setup W-2 printing’, and select the paper, if you haven’t set up it yet.
- Select the filling period, and click on the ‘View’ option to open the Adobe Reader file in a new window.
- Now, from the ‘Reader’ toolbar, click on the ‘Print Icon’, and again the Print’ option.
Scenario 2: If you have auto pay and the file is turned off
If you want to print and mail the W2s forms to the employees by February 1 then follow the steps:
Step 1: Buy W-2 Paper
We can easily print the form in blank 3 part perforated paper and blank 4 part perforated paper.
- Check, W-2 kit in QuickBooks, and go to the ‘Tax Product’.
- There, click on the ‘Blank W-2 Kits’ option.
- Now QuickBooks will instruct you to complete your order.
Step 2: Set Up the Print Preference
- Select the ‘Payroll Settings’ option from the ‘Settings’ tab.
- Then select the Edit option, and then the ‘W2 print preference’ option.
- Now you need to choose the paper type for the W2 print.
- And then, click the ‘Ok’ button.
Step 3: Print the W2s Form
- Visit the ‘Taxes’ menu, and select the ‘Payroll tax’ option from the list.
- Go to the Filings’section, and click on the Annual Forms’ to select the W-2s and W3 forms.
- You will be notified to set a printing preference if you haven’t yet.
- Choose the appropriate period, and go to the View’section for the Adobe Reader file.
- Click on the ‘Print Icon’ from the reader toolbar. And at last click the ‘Print’ option.
Print W2 Forms in Intuit/QuickBooks Online Payroll Enhanced, Standard
If you are a user of QuickBooks Online payroll Enhanced, Intuit Online payroll enhanced, and Quickbooks Online payroll Standard then you need not follow any other procedure to print W2 forms. You can follow the above same process of the ‘Scenario 2’ of the Core, Premium, & Elite.
Print W2 Forms in Intuit/QuickBooks Online Payroll Full Service
In QuickBooks Online payroll full service, QuickBooks will mail you, employee’s W2s form from the starting date of January 20 through January 31. These can be reprinted on plain paper.
- Go to the ‘Taxes’ section, and select the ‘Payroll Tax’ option.
- Now from the ‘Forms’ section, select the applicable year.
- Choose both W2s and W3, if you need it then see the form in the Adobe Reader.
- Click on the Print Icon, and then the Print’ option.
Do the same, if you have the Intuit Online Payroll Full Service version.
We hope that now you understand how to print W2 in QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop. And, all the requirements it needs. We have tried to make it simpler for you so that you will not get confused between the printing procedures of QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online, and also between the QuickBooks Online versions. We have tried our best, but don’t know how much you have received from this article. Still, if you have any kind of doubts regarding this printing procedure of W2 in QuickBooks then you can connect with our QuickBooks ProAdvisor for the best, and instant support.