QuickBooks is well-known accounting software that is designed to manage the day to day payroll activities of businesses. However, it is necessary to keep records of those paychecks in QuickBooks to run the payroll. Paychecks are generally made outside of QuickBooks with the help of ADP or Paychex third-party paychecks. Although journal entries help to keep track of the accounting information for the payroll in QuickBooks Online. Therefore, if you are not using the payroll service, then journal entries are the best way. Because some payroll services let you import paycheck data directly into QuickBooks. In this blog, we will discuss how to do manual payroll in QuickBooks. If you are a new user, then follow these steps to record manual payroll QuickBooks.
Points to remember
- To calculate the Payroll, QuickBooks use tax tables.
- The following details are required to evaluate the Payroll. They are as follows:
- Organization info like the organization’s name, address, and Federal Tax ID Numbers.
- Employees’ details like name, address, etc.
- Details about Payroll items such as an organization’s expenses in accordance with Payroll.
How Do I Manually Enter Payroll in QuickBooks?
If you want to do manual payroll in QuickBooks, then you have to implement some simple steps such as:
- First of all, you have to open the Edit menu.
- Then click on Preferences.
- Select Payroll and Employees from the drop-down menu.
- From the Company Preferences tab, select the No Payroll option.
- Click on Manage Payroll Items from the employee’s menu.
- After that click on View/ Edit Payroll item list to modify the list.
- Now the Payroll item list will appear on the screen.
- However, if you want an item in the Payroll list, then you have to repeat the above steps. And click on the New button to add the Payroll item on the list.
How To Record Manual Payroll In QuickBooks Online?
Since, if you are recording manual payroll into QuickBooks Online then it will track your payment totals. However, it will not create the data for the employee’s W-2s. In that case, you have to work directly with your payroll service to get your year-end forms. If you want to record manual payroll in QuickBooks Online, then implement all these steps such as:
Create manual tracking accounts
- Firstly, you have to create manual tracking accounts in the Chart of Accounts.
- Then select the Expense as the account type.
- After that choose the Liabilities as of the account type.
- Create additional accounts for taxes specific to your state or locality.
Make journal entry and enter the payroll paychecks
- First, get your employees’ payroll reports from your payroll service.
- Now, click on Add New and then select Journal Entry.
- Under the Journal date, type the paycheck date.
- For tracking the paycheck number, type the paycheck number in the Journal No. field.
- Although if you paid multiple employees for the pay period, then you can combine paycheck totals into one journal entry.
- And you can also create separate journal entries for each employee in order to break out the details.
Follow these steps, to add:
- First, you have to choose Payroll Expenses as Wages for the account.
- Next, fill the amount as a debit.
The employer’s payroll taxes:
- Firstly, click on Payroll Expenses as Taxes for the account.
- Next, enter the amount as a debit.
Taxes paid towards 941 or 944 tax:
- Select Payroll Liabilities as of Federal Taxes (941/944) for the account.
- Type the amount as a credit.
State unemployment insurance taxes:
- Select the Payroll Liabilities as of [State] SUI/ETT Liability for the account.
- When it is done, then enter the amount as a credit.
State income taxes:
- Mark the Payroll Liabilities as of the [State] PIT/SDI for the account.
- And you have to enter the amount as a credit.
FUDA (Federal Unemployment Taxes):
- Choose the Payroll Liabilities as Federal Unemployment (940) for the account.
- Mention the amount as a credit.
- Simply click on the checking account you are paying your employees from.
- Instead of combining them, type each individual paycheck on separate lines.
- Enter the amounts in the form of credits.
- When it is over to enter the debits and credits, then click on Save option.
In the end
If you are a beginner and don’t know how to enter manual Payroll in QuickBooks. In that case, the above-mentioned steps will be very useful to you. If you are using QBO, then also you can manually record payroll without any difficulty. I hope the above information will clear all your doubts in terms of entering the payroll manually in QB.