Want to transfer QuickBooks to a new computer? If yes, then you are in the right place. This article can give you the right information to move QuickBooks to another computer completely with all the files. If you want to continue your work with QuickBooks on a new computer without any data loss then must read this article till the end to get all the details about this.
Let’s get it into the article;
Normally the QuickBooks Online users don’t need this process because QuickBooks Online can be accessed on any device at any time from anywhere by users. But in the case of QuickBooks Desktop, we need to follow a complete procedure to move the QuickBooks to a new computer or a system.
While moving your organization files to another computer in QuickBooks, there is one thing you should keep in mind. It will not affect your QuickBooks Desktop license. Confirm that you have already installed QuickBooks Desktop on the new computer.
How to Transfer QuickBooks to a New Computer
The moving process of QuickBooks Desktop to a new computer is not a difficult process. You just need to install the QuickBooks Desktop in the new computer before transferring the backup of the QuickBooks company file. After that you can create a backup file of company file and can transfer it to the new one. Let’s know, how to create a backup, and how to restore it in new computer.
Move Company File to the New Computer
This is the procedure to move the company file to the new computer;
- Create a backup of the company file on the old computer.
- Give a new name to the newly created backup file for easy identification.
- Save the file somewhere, from where you can easily access it.
- Use an external device like a flash drive to transfer the backup of the company file to the new computer. Or share the file over a network, if the new computer is in the same network.
- Now in the new computer, restore the created backup company file with a unique name.
- If you are using payroll in QuickBooks then download the latest tax table after the move of the backup file.
To Move Company File to Other Location on the Same Computer
If you want to move the company file to other location but in the same computer then you can follow the bellow steps:
- First of all, create a backup of the company file.
- Save the file with a new name, and store it in a place, where you can easily access it (Desktop).
- If in case, the company file is hosted on a network then save the backup on the computer’s local hard drive, not in the network.
- Now restore the backup file in a new folder or a new location.
To Move Custom Templates & Forms to New Computer
The custom templates and forms are not included in the company file backup. If you want to transfer them also the go for the process.
- Open the new computer, where you have restored the backup file.
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu, and open the ‘File Explorer’.
- Search it ‘Restored_[Your CompanyName]_Files‘ for the folder.
- Select the file from the folder that you want to move, copy, and paste it to go to the location.
|File to Move||File Location|
|Loan Manager (.lmr)||[Company Name].qbw|
|Business Planner (.bpw)||[Company Name].qbw|
|Cash Flow Projector (.cfp)||[Company Name].qbw|
|Financial Statement Designer (FSD data)||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]\Components\FSD\Data|
|Financial Statement Designer (FSD clients)||C:\Program Data\Intuit\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\FSD\Clients|
Note: For Windows 7, the path is C:\Program Data\Intuit\
|Spell Checker (spell.ini and UserDictionary.tlx)||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]|
|Printer Setting (PrintEng.ini, wpr.ini, and QBPrint.qbp)||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]|
|QuickBooks Letters and Templates||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]\QuickBooks Letter Templates|
How to Transfer QuickBooks to the New Computer by using QuickBooks Migrator Tool
There is another way to transfer the QuickBooks to a new Computer, and that is by using the QuickBooks migrator tool.
Working of Migrator Tool while transferring the QuickBooks
You must be an Admin user for using a migrator tool. To unlock that has been transferred to a new computer, you have to create a complex password. And, do not forget the password, that password is needed once only.
The migrator tool will copy to pen drive or USB only up to the last 3 organization files opened along with all supporting files. The move QuickBooks Tool will do all the technical work required, while the pen drive will work as a medium to physically move the files.
The correct version of the Migrator tool of QuickBooks Desktop Software will download the new computer. It will also set up your QuickBooks with your organization file. Your drive will not be reformatted or any other file will not be deleted through using Migrator Tool.
What you will require:
- A new computer, which is connected to the internet.
- To hold your QuickBooks File, you have a pen drive or USB with enough free space. The required space will be told by the Migrator tool. Normally, people require between 150 and 250 MB.
How to do set up and using of Migrator Tool
Step 1:- with the old computer
- In QuickBooks, go to the FILE > Utilities > Move QuickBooks to Another Computer.
- Click I’m ready, then create a one-time password.
- Do follow the steps to select the USB flash drive you will use. After that, wait for the file to be copied.
Step 2:- with the new computer
- Insert the Storage device into your new computer. Because of Windows security reasons, the Migrator Tool will not automatically launch.
- Open the storage device to see all its files and double-click the file Move.QuickBooks.bat to start the migrator.
- Type the Password you created, then click on Let’s Go.
- And after that, wait for the migrator tool to finish. And this will depend on your computer and the internet and the size of your company file.
So, this was the article to transfer QuickBooks to a new computer. We hope, you will find the article useful, and now able to do this own self. Still, if you need help to perform it without any obstacles then you can get the help of our QuickBooks experts. They can help you through QuickBooks remote access, and clear your doubts in a short time.