QuickBooks error code 6189 is basically a run-time error that you come across when you are run QuickBooks or trying to open a company file. It means that the file, which one tries to open, is not accessible. Although the message that appears with this error contains a few details, it is always difficult for a user to locate its exact cause and correct it. The message shows the following information:
Error number: Error 6189
Error name: Quickbooks error code 6189
Developer: Intuit Inc.
Error Description: Error 6189: Quickbooks has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience
Applies to: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8
There could be a link available on the popup message which says the error has occurred. You can click on that link to visit the instructions by intuit official to resolve the issue. Because of this error, Quickbooks will be unable to open the company file. It may have been opened by another user. Ask that user to Switch to multi-user mode so you can both easily use the company file at the same time. the file could be located in a read-only network folder which can cause this error to ask you, the system administrator, to make the file accessible if its the case so. To have a better understanding of the topic let us first know the reasons and Symptoms behind the error and then try to resolve them.
Reasons why this error occurs:
- If any file which is already in use by any user or services and you try to access that file so gets this error.
- Another reason is an incomplete installation of any software or downloads a corrupt link of any software.
- Another reason is you want to access any file from the folder and you not have read and write permission so this error occurs.
- Due to Incorrect or unfinished installation of QuickBooks, it also affects in wrong entries in the Windows registry this error may occur.
- A virus can enter your system from any medium and it will destroy your files resulting in this error occurs.
- If a new update QuickBooks is available and we don’t have the latest version so our window registry will corrupt and this error occurs.
- If our windows version is not updated.
- The exchange log record (.TLG) and the organization document (.QBW) have differences.
- Other clients in the organization use single-user mode.
- Missing of Quickbooks related files or deleting of important drivers of the system by mistake which is useful for Quickbooks.
Symptoms of the error:
- Connection loss with Quickbooks company files.
- Users are unable to access Quickbooks files.
- Trying to open older version QB files in the newer version incorrectly.
- The system freezes frequently and the current running program gets closed.
- The system is unable to take or read command to access the necessary programs.
How to overcome from QuickBooks error code 6189 if arise:
Solution 1:- QuickBooks Tools Hub
Quickbooks offers us the easiest way to solve our issues and errors related to Quickbooks. To fix the error 6189, -816 we can simply run Quick fix my program from Quickbooks’s Tool hub and rid of it in few easy steps-
- Download and install the Quickbooks tool hub.
- Open the tool hub and tap on program problems.
- Click on Quick Fix for my Program.
- Start QuickBooks Desktop and open your data file.
Tool hub tries to automatically resolve your issues with your minimum interfere but if this doesn’t work and you still have to face the error try Solution 2.
Solution 2:- Restart all your systems and servers
Sometimes your whole system requires a full reset. You can restart your computers and servers by using these steps:
- Restart the main server which hosts all your company files.
Note: Contact intuit for help if you are using QuickBooks Enterprise hosting. And if you use affiliated Intuit Hosting Providers or another cloud service to host your company files, contact them for help restarting the service.
- Reset or restart each workstation (computers) that are connected to the same networks and your company file is stored on them.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop on the main server system and after that open it on each system.
Solution 3:- Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager and run it on your server
QuickBooks Database Server Manager that will help you to keep your multi-user networks stable. As the company files are stored in the host computer and other systems (workstations) just access them, the stability of the server is essential.
- Install QuickBooks Database server manager on your system if it is not installed. Now start the Database Server Manager on your main server system. ( You don’t require a license to run it on your system.)
- In the Tool hub, select Network Issues.
- Open QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your system and update it to the latest version.
- If you see your company file select it otherwise browse it and then select it.
- After selecting your company file click on start scan.
- After that restart the server of your computer.
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop again on your main server computer and then on each workstation.
Follow solution 4, if the error still exists.
Solution 4:- Transfer your company files into the local hard drive
Please ensure that your data file(QBW) is not stored on the removable pen drive and hard drive. Your files need to be stored in the local drive otherwise it can create an error. Here are the steps to do so-
- Search the file location.
- Go to the folder.
- Right-click on the folder and then select copy.
- Paste the folder on your local drive.
- Connect the local drive with your new computer and copy the company files from the local drive on it.
- Now launch QuickBooks Desktop on your new system and open your company file.
Solution 5:- Rename the Network Data File (ND) and Transaction Log File (TLG)
If none of the above methods works then you can manually fix the issue. Both ND and TLG are configuration files that allow QuickBooks to access a QBW file in a multi-user environment. You may encounter ‘QuickBooks error 6189, 816’ if these files are corrupt/damaged. However, the files get automatically re-created once you rescan them by using QuickBooks Database Server Manager and open the company file. When that happens, rename ND and TLG files and check if it solves the error. Follow the steps to rename the ND and TLG files-
Step 1: Open the folder containing your company file.
Step 2: Locate the files having the same name as your company files, but are saved with extensions.ND and.TLG (as given below):
Step 3: Rename the files by right-clicking on it.
Note: Make sure to add the word ‘OLD’ at the end of ND and TLG filename. For instance, company_file.qbw.nd.OLD.
Step 4: Re-open QuickBooks and try signing in to your company file.
So, I hope that this will help you to fix QuickBooks Error 6189, 816. Make sure that your Quickbooks is updated to its latest version and works perfectly fine. If it doesn’t work perfectly fine then repair Quickbooks. After trying all the above solutions if you still face this error, call our QuickBooks ProAdvisor team so that they can help you fix the error. Contact our ProAdvisors and Experts on +1-877-326-5998 and let them handle your problem. We are available for you to 24*7. For any suggestions or queries, you are always free to contact us.
Keep sharing, Keep smiling:)